Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Girtford > 9 Saint Neots Road Girtford

9 Saint Neots Road Girtford

9 Saint Neots Road March 2010
9 Saint Neots Road March 2010

The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 9 Saint Neots Road [HER 7551] reads: “19th century yellow brick 2 storey double-pitched slate roof. 3 Sash windows with glazing bars. 6 panel door with rectangular fanlight”.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 9 Saint Neots Road [DV1/C30/70] found it owned and occupied by Albert Ward. The property stood in just under a rood of land.

The brick and slated, detached house comprised three reception rooms, a kitchen and scullery with four bedrooms, a w. c. and bathroom above. There was also a porch which had a room over it measuring 7 feet 6 inches by 5 feet. Outside stood a brick and slated double stall stable and carriage shed with a loft over and a harness room with a living room over it. There was also a wood and corrugated iron washhouse, a wooden garage measuring 9 feet 3 inches by 19 feet 6 inches, a brick and slate w. c., an old wooden stable with two separate boxes and a wood and corrugated iron shed used as an office measuring 8 feet 6 inches by 10 feet 9 inches. The valuer commented: “Nice, very lettable”.