Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Flitwick > Saint Andrews Mission Church Flitwick

Saint Andrews Mission Church Flitwick

Saint Andrew's church when newly built [Z50/50/40]
Saint Andrew's church when newly built [Z50/50/40]

The arrival of the railway in 1870 prompted quite considerable growth in the area of the station and points north. Because Flitwick church is some way to the south-west of the parish the Church felt it necessary to have a chapel of ease in the newly developing area of the village. Thus in 1894 a “church mission house” was inaugurated in a leased farm house. This building had to be given up in 1902. Plans were thus made to erect a purpose built “tin tabernacle” in Windmill Road, on the north side close to the junction with Ampthill Road, as this was the furthest point from the parish church.

A contract was signed in October 1902 by “Iron Church Builder” R C Harris of London to build the church. It would cost £129 and have a chancel, porch and vestry [P59/2/3/2-9]. The Archdeacon of Bedford opened the new mission church on 8th April 1903.Fittings from the old farmhouse chapel were employed but the inside was still sparse because of the debt involved in erecting the place.

An old reading desk from Toddington served as pulpit and lectern. In 1905 a small harmonium was obtained and a small bell four years later [P59/2/2/2].The last service at this church took place in 1982 [P59/0/5] and it was demolished soon afterwards. The church had a hall at the rear and this survives as Saint Andrew’s Church and Hall at the time of writing [2017].

Saint Andrew's church with the hall behind in 1981 [Z50/50/19]
Saint Andrew's church with the hall behind in 1981 [Z50/50/19]