4 to 6 Station Square Flitwick
4 to 6 Station Square September 2017
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 5 and 6 Station Square [DV1/C130-73-75] found that the property was owned by house agent Arthur W Hawtin. The greater part of it was occupied by Mrs Stanley, who paid rent of ten shillings per week and who had a living room downstairs and a sitting room and three bedrooms upstairs. She also had a weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn and earth closet outside. The valuer noted: “Occupier has part house only the rest of house is let off as bank and Office”.
In fact the office was not let as it was occupied by Hawtin himself. It measured 10 feet 6 inches by 11 feet 9 inches. He also had a sitting room measuring 10 feet 6 inches by 15 feet 6 inches and a porch. Outside he had a weather-boarded and corrugated iron cycle store shed. The valuer noted: “Mr Hawtin is an Accountant, House Agent and Insurance Agent”.
Finally a room measuring 14 feet 3 inches by 13 feet was leased by Barclays Bank for £15 per annum. The valuer commented: “Open on Fridays only 10.30 am to 12.30 pm”.
Directories for Bedfordshire were not published every year but every few years from the early to mid-19th century until 1940. Arthur Hawtin appears in directories for 1920 to 1936 as a house agent in Station Square, in the directory for 1940 his address is given as Steppingley Road. In the directory for 1914 he is listed as a news agent in Station Square. Barclays Bank is listed in directories, with the same opening hours as above, from 1920 to 1940.