Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Elstow > The Katherine Wheel Inn Elstow

The Katherine Wheel Inn Elstow

The Katherine Wheel Inn, Elstow

There is only one known reference to this inn and that is in 1680 when Henry Rotchell conveyed two houses forming part of the Katherine Wheel to Lord of the Manor Thomas Hillersdon [AD679]. The name of the inn is a reference to Saint Katherine or Catherine who was martyred during the Roman Empire. She was to have been broken over a spiked wheel, a very painful way to die, but the wheel was destroyed by a miracle and she was beheaded instead.

References:

  • AD679: Feoffment: 1680