Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Elstow > Saint Helena Elstow

Saint Helena Elstow

Saint Helena February 2012
Saint Helena February 2012

Saint Helena was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II – of special interest. The building facing the road dates from the 17th century, though it has 19th century windows. There is a 19th century chequered brick block at the rear. The 17th century structure is timber-framed with rendering under a clay tiled roof with fish scale tiles. It comprises two storeys with attics

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property, called Saint Helena then, found it owned, like most of the parish, by Lord of the Manor Samuel Howard Whitbread [DV1/C33/121]. The name is connected with Elstow Abbey which had a chapel in the grounds dedicated to the saint.

The tenant was G. Humphries whose rent was £35 per annum. His accommodation comprised three reception rooms, a kitchen, four bedrooms and a bathroom with hot and cold water. Outside stood a weather-boarded and tiled barn with a garage attached. The valuer commented: “Property almost abuts road. No drainage”.

During World War Two Saint Helena was used as a post for Air Raid Precautions wardens [WW2/AR/CA/1/1/4]. At the time of writing [2012] Saint Helena is a restaurant.