215 and 216 West End Lane Elstow
215 and 216 West End Lane February 2012
215 and 216 West End Lane were listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The property was originally one house, later divided into two and dates from the 17th century. It is timber-framed with pebbledash rendering and a clay-tiled roof. The building is an L-shape and comprises one storey and attics; the rear block is slightly taller. The lean-to porch to the east elevation is 20th century as are the casement windows. There is a single storey addition to the east gable end with a further weather-boarded addition east of this. the building backs onto The Green.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the properties found them owned, like most of the parish, by Lord of the Manor Samuel Howard Whitbread [DV1/C33/66-67].
Number 215 was occupied by H. Noble whose rent was £4/6/- per annum for a living room, a kitchen, two bedrooms and a roughcast and tiled barn. Number 216 was in the occupation of W. Wells who paid rent of £3/11/- per annum for a living room, a scullery and coal store, two bedrooms, a boxroom, and a barn. The valuer commented: “sloping roof”.
The rear of 215 and 216 West End Lane February 2012