204 High Street Elstow
204 High Street February 2012
204 High Street was listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in July 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. The ministry dated the house to about 1600. It is timber-framed with pebbledash render beneath a clay tiled roof. The property comprises a two storey block facing the road with a single storey and attics projecting to the rear. The frontage to the High Street is jettied, that is, the first storey overhangs the ground floor.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like much of the county Elstow was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/H48/8] found that it was, like most of the village, owned by Lord of the Manor Samuel Howard Whitbread.
The tenant was George Alan Prudden who had paid rent of £41/12/8 since 1921 of which £17/17/4 was for the house. The land comprised 15 acres, 21 poles and the valuer commented: “A collection of bits – all over parish”.
The house comprised a living room, a parlour, a kitchen and a dairy with four bedrooms above. A coal barn and washhouse combined stood outside as well as a privy. Drainage was to a cesspool.
The farm buildings comprised the following: two store barns; a chicken house; a granary and cattle house; a four bay calf place with a yard and loose box; another loose box; a cake store; a cowshed for five beasts; a trap and tool store and a harness shed. These were mostly wood and corrugated iron with some wood and tile. In a field stood a brick and tiled cart shed and four loose boxes.
204 High Street seen from the south February 2012