19 and 20 Bunyans Mead Elstow
20 Bunyan's Mead February 2012
Numbers 19 and Bunyan’s Mead used to be numbered 189 and 190 High Street. The properties were listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in 1964 as Grade II - buildings of special interest. The pair of cottages dates from the 16th century and were renovated in 1976 and 1977 [Z284].
The buildings have a close-studded timber-frame with colour-washed plaster infill in front and brick infill at the gable ends. They have clay tile roofs and comprise two storeys. They are 20th century additions at the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the row found that all the properties were owned by the Lord of the Manor, Samuel Howard Whitbread. Individual details were as follows [DV1/C33/26 and 27], the numbers refer to the accompanying plan, reproduced below.
Bunyan's Mead on the 1925 rating valuation map [DV2/G15c]
- 26: W. Hall’s rent was 2/4 per week for two living rooms, a scullery, two bedrooms and a barn;
- 27. Mrs. S. Bowles paid rent of £2/1/10 per half year for two living rooms, a kitchen, two bedrooms and a barn; the valuer commented: “sloping roof”.