173 High Street Elstow
The Old Cottage - 173 High Street February 2012
173 High Street was listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and is timber-framed with pebbledash rendering. It has a clay tiled roof and comprises two storeys. The southern half has a lower roofline. There is a single storeyed pantiled addition to the north gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 173 High Street [DV1/C33/10] found that , like most of the parish, it was owned by Lord of the Manor Samuel Howard Whitbread.
The cottage was leased by A. Pestell whose rent was £6/8/- per annum. His accommodation comprised a parlour, a living room, two bedrooms and a barn measuring 9 feet by 15 feet 6 inches. The valuer enthused: “Marvellous garden. Quite a sight, Rock and water etc.” He also noted “Only 2 Bedrooms but must be big”.