Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Eggington > Eggington Stocks

Eggington Stocks

Frederick Gurney was an antiquarian who lived at Claridges from 1914 until his death in 1947. He collected numerous archaeological and architectural pieces which he stored in his house and which were transferred to Luton Museum on his death.

He also collected a lot of information, writing it down in various notebooks which were deposited after his death with Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. One of these notebooks [X325/119] refers to the village stocks. Gurney noted that an “ancient” local informed him that the stocks stood on a small piece of the green (which comprised everything on the south side of the road other than the church) south-west of the church and close to the garden of the former Vicarage, which was next to the church on the site of the modern Saint Michael’s.