48 High Street Eaton Bray
46 and 48 High Street about 1920 [Z1306/39]
At the beginning of the 20th century five houses in a row in Eaton Bray – 40 to 48 High Street were all businesses. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Eaton Bray, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927.
The valuer visiting 48 High Street [DV1/C235/76] found it owned and occupied by Horace David Howlett. He noted: “Tenant been here since Christmas and has improved business?” Directories for Bedfordshire were not published every year, but every few years. Howlett is listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1928, 1931, 1936 and the last for the county, 1940, as a baker. He probably succeeded Jeffrey Brinklow, who is listed as a baker in the directories of 1910, 1914, 1920 and 1924. By 1927 Brinklow ran the post office from Number 46 next door.
Number 48 contained a shop measuring 11 feet by 12 feet, this had been the front room; there was also a living room, a washhouse, a w. c. and three bedrooms. The valuer commented: “Nice front”. Outside stood a weather-boarded and slated open trap shed and “tumble down sheds”. The bakehouse measured 10 feet 6 inches by 13 feet and the flour loft above was 20 feet by 25 feet. It was larger than the bakehouse below because it extended over the top of the ground floor of outbuildings at Number 46. The oven was rated at five bushels.
48 High Street July 2012