Bedford Estates Cottages in Northill Road Cople
The village of Cople has nine blocks of Bedford Estate cottages. This is a total of 36 (formerly 38) separate homes. They can be found in Grange Lane, Northill Road and Water End. Other Bedford Estates cottages can be found on the outlying farms such as Coplewood Farm, Hoo Farm and Moxhill Farm.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the village listed the properties in Northill Road as shown below. They are all built in yellow brick rather than the more traditional red brick and all have clay tiled roofs.
8 to 12 Northill Road July 2010
8 to 12 Northill Road
This block of three homes was by 1927, the date Cople was assessed, owned by the Trustees of the Shuttleworth Estate [DV1/C49/137-139]. It was built in 1863. Each home had a living room and a kitchen downstairs. Other details are as follows:
- 8 – then 96 The Village - G. Smith paid rent of £3/8/- per annum. He had three bedrooms.
- 10 – then 95 The Village - W. Harwell paid rent of £2/16/4 per year. He had two bedrooms.
- 12 – then 94 The Village - Mrs. Fitch paid rent of £9 per annum. She had three bedrooms as well as a small bedroom over part of a stable which stood outside. Also outside were a cart hovel, two piggeries, a barn, a bakehouse measuring 11 feet by 14 feet with an oven measuring 11 feet by 12 feet and containing six bushels. The valuer commented: "Too big".
14 to 20 Northill Road January 2012
14 to 20 Northill Road
This block of four homes is configured differently to 8 to 12 Northill Road. It was built in 1865. Again the Shuttleworth Trustees were owners by 1927. Again each property had a living room and a kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above and a barn outside. Other details were as follows [DV1/C49/133-136]:
- 14 – then 93 The Village - A. C. Burr paid rent of £5 per annum.
- 16 – then 92 The Village - J. Hartwell paid rent of 1/2 peer week.
- 18 – then 91 The Village - W. L. Longstaff paid rent of 1/6 peer week. He also had a corrugated iron barn measuring 8 feet by 12 feet on some nearby land.
- 20 – then 90 The Village - Mrs. Chapman paid £5 per annum in rent.
22 to 26 Northill Road January 2012
22 to 26 Northill Road
This block stands gable end on to the road and by 1927 was owned by Mrs. Barnard of Cople House. The valuer commented: "Very, very good. Duke's again". Individual details were as follows [DV1/C49/130-132]:
- 22 – then 89 The Village - C. Olman's rent was included as wages; his accommodation comprised a living room, a scullery and three bedrooms.
- 24 – then 88 The Village – G. Burnage paid rent of 2/6 per week for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms ("big").
- 26 – then 87 The Village – Mrs. Bartram paid rent of 1/6 per week for a living room, a kitchen and three bedrooms ("2 small").