Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Cople > Bedford Estates Cottages in Grange Lane Cople

Bedford Estates Cottages in Grange Lane Cople

The village of Cople has nine blocks of Bedford Estate cottages. This is a total of 36 (formerly 38) separate homes. They can be found in Grange Lane, Northill Road and Water End. Other Bedford Estates cottages can be found on outlying farms such as Moxhill Farm, Coplewood Farm and Hoo Farm.

The properties in Grange Lane are built in blocks with either yellow brick (the sentral two blocks of six) or red brick. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the village listed the properties in Grange Lane as shown below

2 to 8 Grange Lane January 2012
2 to 8 Grange Lane January 2012

2 to 8 Grange Lane

This red brick block of three cottages was built in 1856. Number 2, Cornflower Cottage,  is much altered as shop premises were built on and this has its own separate entry. The other three cottages [DV1/C52/14-16] were all owned by Mark Young who bought a considerable number of former Duke of Bedford properties in Cople and Willington. Details were as follows:

  • 4 – then 21 The Village – M. Mayes paid 10/6 per month for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.
  • 6 – then 20 The Village – T. F. Martin paid 13/6 per week for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.
  • 8 – then 19 The Village – C. Mathews paid four shillings peer week for a living room, a kitchen and three bedrooms ("2 very small").

10 to 20 Grange Lane January 2012
10 to 20 Grange Lane January 2012

10 to 20 Grange Lane

This yellow brick block of six cottages was built in 1856. The block was also owned by Mark Young. Each cottage comprised a living room and a kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Individual details were as follows [DV1/C52/8-13]:

  • 10 – then 18 The Village – J. Sharman paid rent of four shillings per week.
  • 12 – then 17 The Village – F. Hartwell was "not at home".
  • 14 – then 16 The Village – J. Burridge paid rent of five shillings per week ["£13!"].
  • 16 – then 15 The Village – W. Cambers had his rent included as part of his wages
  • 18 – then 14 The Village – C. Hammond paid 13/6 per month in rent and was "not at home".
  • 20 – then 13 The Village – J. Bartram paid twelve shillings per month in rent.

22 to 32 Grange Lane January 2012
22 to 32 Grange Lane January 2012

22 to 32 Grange Lane

This yellow brick block of six cottages was built in 1856. This block was owned by Mrs. Dynes. Again each cottage comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms; other details were as follows [DV1/C52/2-7]:

  • 22 – then 12 The Village – Mrs. Donaldson paid rent of £2/11/6 per quarter.
  • 24 – then 11 The Village – W. Houghton paid rent of £2/5/- per quarter.
  • 26 – then 10 The Village – F. Brown paid rent of £2/5/- per quarter.
  • 28 – then 9 The Village – A. Eastwell paid £2/5/- per quarter.
  • 30 – then 8 The Village – Miss Dawson paid £2/5/- per quarter.
  • 32 – then 7 The Village – A. Bendall paid £2/11/6 per quarter.

34 to 40 Grange Lane January 2012
34 to 40 Grange Lane January 2012

34 to 40 Grange Lane

This yellow brick block of four cottages was built in 1855. It was owned by Mark Young. Individual details were as follows [DV1/C49/148-150 and DV1/C52/1]:

  • 34 – then 6 The Village – G. Worrall paid rent of sixteen shillings per month for a living room, kitchen and three bedrooms.
  • 36 – then 5 The Village – A. White paid rent of 3/6 per week for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms.
  • 38 – then 4 The Village – T. Holdway paid rent of 3/6 per week for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms
  • 40 – then 3 The Village – A. Powek paid four shillings peer week for a living room, kitchen and three bedrooms.

42 and 44 Grange Lane January 2012
42 and 44 Grange Lane January 2012

42 and 44 Grange Lane

This pair of red brick cottages was built in 1846. They were owned by Miss Houghton who lived in 42, then 2 The Village, herself. 44 was in the occupation of Mrs. Goodman who paid rent of 2/6 per week [DV1/C49/146-147]. Both cottages comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.