5 Water End Cople
5 Water End July 2010
5 Water End was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The property, originally a pair of cottages, dates from the 18th century. The cottage is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame and the south gable end was either encased or rebuilt in the 20th century. The roof is thatched and the property comprises a single storey with attics and originally had two rooms in each, in other words, one room per cottage.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county Cople was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 5 Water End [DV1/C49/127-128] found that the property was owned by Mrs. Barnard of Cople House and was then divided into two. The northern section, 84 The Village, was occupied by W. Burridge who paid rent of £1/13/9 per quarter for a living room, kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above. The southern section, 83 The Village, was occupied by E. Keep who paid £2/2/2 per quarter for a parlour, living room, kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above.