Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Cople > Cornflower Cottage Grange Lane Cople

Cornflower Cottage Grange Lane Cople

2 Grange Lane Cornflower Cottage February 2008
2 Grange Lane, Cornflower Cottage, in February 2008

Cople has had at least two post offices in the last hundred years, 2 Grange Lane and, before that, 6 and 8 Willington Road.

In 1927 the dwellings of Cople were valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every building and piece of land in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 2 Grange Lane discovered that it was then a grocer's shop, noting [DV1/C52/17] that it was owned and occupied by Henry Joseph Green. The premises comprised a shop (measuring 15 feet square), two pantries, a kitchen and three bedrooms upstairs. Outside were a store house, flour store, stable, kitchen (8 feet by 7½ feet), three stores, a garage and a straw store. The valuer commented "V.Good. best place in village".

At some time between the 1927 valuation and the Ordnance Survey map of 1973 the buildings changed completely in outline and became a Post Office. At the time of writing [2008] 2 Grange Lane is a private house called Cornflower Cottage.