20 and 21 Water End Cople
20 and 21 Water End July 2010
20 and 21 Water End was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th century and it is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame with brick facing to the east gable end and an old clay tile roof. The Department noted that there is “Evidence of a blocked door in line with the red brick double ridge chimney stack”. The building is joined with 21 Water End, which occupies the back. This portion of the structure is a 19th century construction.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county Cople was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 20 and 21 Water End [DV1/C49/112 and 114] found that today’s number 20 was then 64 Water End. Number 21 was then 65 Water End. The building was owned, like much of Water End, by the trustees of the Shuttleworth Estate of Old Warden and 64 Water End was leased to S. Godfrey at a rent of £1/14/8 per half year. Accommodation comprised a parlour, kitchen, scullery and passage on the ground floor with two bedrooms above. Number 65 was in the occupation of J. Collins who had a living room, kitchen and three bedrooms for £2/16/4 per annum in rent. There was also an old barn outside.