19 Water End Cople
19 Water End July 2010
19 Water End was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 18th century and noted that the structure was once a pair of cottages. The structure is of timber framing with colour washed brick infill under a thatched roof. There is a single storey and attics and originally there were two rooms on each, in other words one room up and down per cottage.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county Cople was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 19 Water End [DV1/C49/115-116] found that the cottage was owned by the trustees of the Shuttleworth Estate of Old Warden. As noted above today’s one dwelling was then two, divided north and south. The southern-most dwelling, then numbered 66 Water End was leased to C. Minney for 17/4 per half year. Accommodation comprised a living room and scullery with two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: “Half timber work” and “Poor place”. Next door, 67 Water End, was in the occupation of B. Bennett at a rent of £2/3/4 per annum, who had a living room and pantry with two bedrooms above. There was no garden but there was a small glasshouse.