10 Water End Cople
10 Water End July 2010
10 Water End was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 18th century. It is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame and has a thatched roof. It comprises a single storey and attics and originally had two chambers in each. A higher block adjoins to the south and a weather-boarded barn adjoins the south of this.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county Cople was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 10 Water End [DV1/C49/122-123] found that the property was owned by Mrs. Barnard of Cople House and, though one dwelling today, was then two, divided north and south. The northernmost part of the building was numbered 73 Water End and was occupied by F. Cambers at a rent of 1/2 per week. Accommodation comprised a living room with two bedrooms in the roof above. Next door, 72 Water End was in the occupation of J. White who paid 1/6 per week in rent for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms above. Two barns lay outside as well as garden. The valuer commented: “”Poor place”.