The White Cottage Colmworth
The White Cottage September 2009
It may not look like it at first glance, but The White Cottage is an old building. It was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates to about 1700. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame with a 20th century tiled roof. The house originally had a two room plan, one either side of a central hearth and chimney stack, with bedrooms in the attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colmworth, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting The White Cottage [DV1/C180/76] discovered that it was the village post office, owned and occupied by T. Thompson.
The detached cottage, built of plaster and tile, comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics. The valuer noted: "Front room used as post-office and as living room".
An implement shed, cart shed and lean-to, all constructed from corrugated iron and timber, stood outside. The valuer commented: "Poor place".