The Thatched Cottage Colmworth
The Thatched Cottage August 2009
The Thatched Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in January 1978 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the building to the 17th century. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof. The cottage is of two bays and one storey with attics. A single storey extension with a pantiled roof has been added to the north.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colmworth, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting The Thatched Cottage [DV1/C180/10] noted that it was owned and occupied by G. F. Fensome and stood in just under an eighth of an acre.
The cottage had a living room and kitchen downstairs (the original two room plan) and three bedrooms above in the attics. A weather-boarded and tiled barn stood outside along with a corrugated iron lean-to and weather-boarded and tiled shed.
The rear of The Thatched Cottage in 1978 [Z50/32/12]