The Pair of Cottages South of Chapel Lane Colmworth
The pair of cottages south of Chapel Lane December 2009
This pair of cottages stands on the west side of the road, just south of the entrance to Chapel Lane. They were listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest under the title of "pair of cottages south of Ye Olde Homestead". The buildings date from the 18th century. They are constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame with a pantiled roof. The department considered that they might have originally been one house. Both gable ends have later brick and slate lean-tos
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colmworth, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting the cottages discovered that both were owned by W. Lack.
The western dwelling [DV1/C180/34] was tenanted by G. Carress and comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics. A weather-boarded and corrugated lean-to and Weather-boarded and thatched shed stood outside. Carress paid £7 per annum in rent.
The eastern dwelling [DV1/C180/36] was leased by W. Elliot at 2/6 per week. His accommodation was identical to that next door and outside he had a brick and corrugated iron washhouse, a weather-boarded and tiled barn and a weather-boarded and thatched shed.