The Cottage South of Hillview Farm Colmworth
The cottage south of Hillview Farm December 2009
This cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 18th century. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof. It is built in a T-shape and has a single storey with attics. The porch is modern.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colmworth, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/H22/32] discovered that it was part of a small farm of 24 acres, owned and occupied by J. Stanton. The valuer commented "Poor house and buildings".
The house then comprised a parlour, kitchen, scullery and dairy downstairs with three bedrooms above. A privy stood outside and water came from a well. The homestead comprised a loose box, straw, corn and meal barn, a group of five loose boxes and a place for six cows - all the outbuildings were built of wood on brick foundations, some had a tile roof, some a roof of corrugated iron. A pond stood nearby.