Rose Cottage Colmworth
Rose Cottage August 2009
Rose Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 18th century. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and is thatched. It has two bays and two storeys.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colmworth, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Rose Cottage [DV1/C180/50] noted that it was owned and occupied by A. Thompson who was "not at home". He commented: "Netting on Thatch; Place looked after", also "Very high house, Neat".
He could determine that the cottage was "old" and had a scullery at the rear. A small washhouse adjoined the property, which stood in a fifth of an acre. In 1988 planning permission was given for an extension [BorBTP/88/1819/LB].