Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Colmworth > Colmworth School in 1904

Colmworth School in 1904

Plan and elevation of Colmworth School House 1848 [PY47-29-2]
Plan and elevation of Colmworth School House in 1848 [P47/29/2]

Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor set out his report in the format below.

Here is the surveyor's report on Colmworth Public Elementary School [E/SA2/1/1]:

This is a brick and tiled building

Main Room is an old structure with small, low windows, some of which open. They are lead lights [i.e. windows]. A large space above windows is imperfectly ventilated, openings in ceiling are poor, room needs repairs, cleansing, and renovating.

It measures 41 feet by 14 feet 6 inches by 10 feet 3 inches and 3 feet to collar beam.

An Exhaust Ventilator and six Tobin Tubes are very necessary here.

The Infants' Room is newer, measuring 18 feet 4 inches by 12 feet 3 inches by 10 feet and 3 feet 6 inches to ceiling.

The windows here are same type, the roof needs ventilation by Exhaust Ventilator, also three Tobin Tubes.

Both these rooms have open fireplaces, also one Tortoise stove.

The Lobbies need repairs and cleaning, and general renewal.

The offices are fairly good and cleanly. They are of the pail type, no earth being provided. They are fairly removed from the School.

House

This is a four-roomed cottage, with small scullery, barn and privy, which are much out of repair, the latter should be made into an earth closet.

Water Supply

Water is drawn from a well in back yard.

All the Premises need both internal and external repairs throughout, excepting only the closet range, which is fairly good.