Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clipstone > The Manor of Clipston

The Manor of Clipston

Volume III of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1912. Clipstone was part of the Royal Manor of Leighton.

There is mention of two carucates of land in Clipstone held by the Abbey of Fontevraud in France, as Lords of the Manor of Leighton, during the reign of King Henry III (1216-1272). These two carucates were known as the Manor (more correctly sub-manor) of Clipston and were worth £8 per annum. Together with two and a half carucates at Heath and Reach called the Manor of Reach they could support eight cart horses, twenty farm horses, sixty oxen, eighty cows, two hundred lesser animals, four thousand sheep and two hundred pigs. There is no other reference to a Manor of Clipston.