Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clifton > 19 Broad Street Clifton

19 Broad Street Clifton

19 Broad Street about 1920 [Z50/30/23]
19 Broad Street about 1920 [Z50/30/23]

19 Broad Street used to be a blacksmith's shop. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified [Section 19 (1)] that every piece of land and property in the country be valued to determine the rateable value. Clifton, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 19 Broad Street [DV1/C207/67] noted that it was owned and occupied by Arthur George Dodd. The "very, very poor house" comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with four bedrooms above. There was also a shop measuring 11 feet by 5 feet and a brick and tile barn outside.

The wood and corrugated iron smith's shop measured 19 feet by 12 feet. A brick and tile smithy measured 20 feet by 12 feet and he also had a "poor" corrugated iron garage. Arthur Dodd is recorded as a blacksmith in directories from 1910 to 1936.