14 Grange Street Clifton
14 Grange Street August 2009
14 Grange Street is an attractive white plastered building, also known, appropriately, as The White House. It stands at the south-west angle of Grange Street where it begins to move east towards Church Street.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified [Section 19 (1)] that every piece of land and property in the country be valued to determine the rateable value. Clifton, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting The White House [DV1/C207/119] found it owned and occupied by George Harwood, who ran a nearby mineral water factory. The stone and tile house stood in just over a quarter of an acre and comprised two parlours, a living room and a kitchen downstairs with four bedrooms and two boxrooms upstairs - "no bath". Outside stood a wood and corrugated iron shed, a brick and slate three stall stable, chaff house with a loft over and washhouse with a loft over. There was also a wood and slate barn and a heated glasshouse measuring 12 feet by 8 feet. Water was laid on.
14 Grange Street was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They dated the property to the mid-18th century. It is built of brick, with a 20th century tiled roof.