The Park Wood House Public House Clapham
The Park Wood House was close to the site of today’s Clapham Park. Its site is probably under one of the modern houses at Carriage Drive. It is described in the 1812 ale particular of the Clapham Park Estate [BS188], for sale by the Earl of Ashburnham.
It was Lot 1 and described as: “A Public-house called the Park Wood-house
, Barn and Outbuildings, with Yards, Pightle adjoining, and the lane … The house is well-known to draw a considerable quantity of Beer, and from its rural situation, is capable of being made a valuable concern, and well worth the attention of the Brewer or the Publican”. Tenant Mrs Swepson and included 4 acres, 28 poles of pasture. Clearly, in such an isolated location the house’s trade was the men working the fields round and about. It does not seem to have caught the attention of a brewer or publican and clearly did not last until 1822, the first countywide licensing register, as it does not appear in it.