Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clapham > 133 to 157 High Street Clapham

133 to 157 High Street Clapham

 133 to 157 High Street March 2017
133 to 157 High Street March 2017

133 to 157 High Street is a terrace of 19th century cottages which used to be known as London Row and was built by 1883 as it shows up on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 25 inches to the mile map published in that year.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the row [DV1/C276/69-81] found the following details:

  • 133 High Street: - 1 The Terrace - owned by someone named Garlick and occupied by Mrs E Hodby, whose rent had been fifteen shillings per month since 1925. The cottage contained a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms, with a barn and earth closet outside. The valuer noted: “water from main in road” and “rent includes water rate sixpence per month usually paid by tenant. Before this rents all through Terrace were 14/6 fixed in 1921”. Finally, he commented: “Well built. But small”. All the houses in the row were identical in terms of rooms and outside features.
  • 135 High Street: owned by “Garlick” and occupied by /Mrs H A Read, the details being as for 133 High Street.
  • 137 High Street: owned by “Garlick” and occupied by A E Watling at twelve shillings per week furnished. The valuer noted: “This is a sub-let furnished. Landlord pays fifteen shillings per month”.
  • 139 High Street: owned by Miss E Alcock and let to A W Roberts at ten shillings per week since 1927. The valuer commented: “includes furniture” and “not a sub-let”.
  • 141 High Street: owned by C Garlick and occupied by C Burton at a rent of 7/6 per week since 1926.
  • 143 High Street: owned by C Garlick and occupied by T Jones at fifteen shillings per month since 1925.
  • 145 High Street: owned by C Garlick and rented by G Fowler at fifteen shillings per month since 1925.
  • 147 High Street: owned by “Garlick” and rented by I Keech at £1 per month since 1924.
  • 149 High Street: owned by “Garlick” and rented by J Wadner for fifteen shillings per month since 1925.
  • 151 High Street: owned by “Garlick” and leased to C Gregory for fifteen shillings per month.
  • 153 High Street: owned by “Garlick” and rented by J Brown at fifteen shillings per month since 1925.
  • 155 High Street: owned by “Garlick” and rented by W Norman at fifteen shillings per month since 1925
  • 157 High Street: owned by A J Garlick and rented by A Hullatt for fifteen shillings per month since 1925.

Sale particulars for numbers 137 and 147 High Street survive from 1955 [Z938/6/12/12-13]. Measurements for 137 were front sitting room 11 feet by 9 feet, back sitting room 9 feet by 7 feet, front bedroom 11 feet by 9 feet and back bedroom 9 feet by 7 feet. Outside was a kitchen with a sink, gas cooker, shelves etc. as well as a WC and garden shed and “well cultivated garden”. Measurements for Number 147 were slightly different with a living room measuring 12 feet by 10 feet and a 9 feet by 6 feet kitchen, the front bedroom being 12 feet by 9 feet 6 inches and the back bedroom 9 feet by 6 feet. A washhouse with a deep sink, and WC were outside with a “long garden with two fruit trees”.