Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Chicksands > Chicksands Before 1086

Chicksands Before 1086

The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county's historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website.

Much of the woodland in Chicksands is recorded as being ancient in origin. Chicksands wood is known to have supplied large oak timbers for the construction of the Octagon at Ely Cathedral in the 14th Century (HER 9142). As well as Chicksands Wood, the HER mentions Pedley Wood, Sand Pit Wood and Temple Grove.

Some Roman Roads may traverse the area. The Viatores, a group dedicated to tracing Roman roads in the modern landscape identified to possible roads -  one running from Little Brickhill [Buckinghamshire] to Arrington [Cambridgeshire] through Woburn, Husborne Crawley, Ridgmont, Eversholt, Steppingley, Flitwick, Maulden, Clophill, Chicksands, Shefford, Clifton, Henlow, Langford, Biggleswade, Dunton, Edworth and Astwick. The other ran, perhaps, from Bedford to Ickleford [Hertfordshire] via Haynes, Old Warden, Southill, Chicksands, Meppershall, Shefford, Clifton, Henlow and Shillington  Further evidence of Roman occupation has been found in the area, including pottery and debris suggesting the existence of a Roman building (HER 2770).