Campton Before 1086
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county's historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website.
There is evidence of life in Campton dating back to prehistoric times, as some flint items and a Neolithic leaf-shaped arrow head have been found there. Also found in the area was a decorated Bronze Age beaker, and multiple fragments of Iron Age pottery have been unearthed.
Some Roman Roads may traverse the area. The Viatores, a group dedicated to tracing Roman roads in the modern landscape identified to possible roads - one running from Little Brickhill [Buckinghamshire] to Arrington [Cambridgeshire] through Woburn, Husborne Crawley, Ridgmont, Eversholt, Steppingley, Flitwick, Maulden, Clophill, Campton, Shefford, Clifton, Henlow, Langford, Biggleswade, Dunton, Edworth and Astwick. The other ran, perhaps, from Bedford to Ickleford [Hertfordshire] via Haynes, Old Warden, Southill, Campton, Meppershall, Shefford, Clifton, Henlow and Shillington. A number of Roman artefacts have been found too, including an amphora which is now held at Bedford Museum, and a figurine of a bird, likely an eagle.