Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Campton > 36 Greenway Campton

36 Greenway Campton

36 Greenway April 2015
36 Greenway April 2015

36 Greenway is not a listed building but is most attractive. It is a 19th century brick building with a long sloping roof known as a catslide.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer who visited 36 Greenway found that the building was occupied by J W Butter, and owned by J Bligh. The building was in "Cherry Orchard" and was made of brick and tile. The interior featured a parlour, living room and kitchen. Upstairs were two bedrooms.

The valuer observed that there was a "bad slope up" to the property, which was so severe he felt compelled to reduce the property's value. Outside was a wash-house, barn, store and coal house, the upstairs of which was "all attic". The water was laid on. The valuer commented that this was an 'old place', and the rent was "very high". Attached to this property was another, also owned by J Bligh, and occupied by C. Mosely. It consisted only of a living room downstairs and a single bedroom upstairs. The comments reveal that this was a "very small … sublet by Butter, J. W."[DV1/C175/138-140].