Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Caddington > Sources for Education in Caddington

Sources for Education in Caddington

The following list gives all the sources relating to education in Silsoe held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Due to the terms of the Data Protection Act records containing personal details of living individuals will be closed in total, or in part, depending on the nature of the information.

Early Education

  • X95/30: will of Henry May: 1683;
  • P35/18/3: contract for maintenance of the poor including teaching the children in the workhouse: 1757;
  • P35/12/1: contract for a governess for the workhouse: 1761;
  • ABJ7 page 79: mention of a school at Market Street: 1770;

Caddington National/Board/Council/Heathfield County Primary/Heathfield Lower School

  • Pamphlet 130: Across the Green a history of Heathfield School;
  • AD3865/9: plans of school and master’s house: c. 1858;
  • CCE/SB7/1: mortgage of the school to the Public Works Loan Committee: 1876;
  • Micf38/2: school logbook: 1885-1905;
  • SB7/1: financial statement from the School Board to the new Local Education Authority: 1903;
  • SB7/2: financial statement: 1903;
  • SB7/3: report of the clerk of the School Board: 1903;
  • E/TE5/1: details of teachers: 1904-1908;
  • Micf38/2: school logbook: 1905-1954;
  • E/TE5/2: details of teachers: 1908-1912;
  • SDCadH1/1: admission register: 1910-1940;
  • E/IN1/1: inspector’s reports: 1911-1938;
  • SMM34/1: school managers’ minutes: 1919-1974;
  • SDCadH1/2: admission register: 1940-1973;
  • CA8/546: school maintenance file: 1952-1981;
  • SDCadH2/1: log book: 1955-1975;
  • CA2/657: school building file on additional land: 1965-1967;
  • SDCadH1/3: admission register: 1973-2003;
  • SDCadH2/2: log book: 1975-1991;
  • CA2/613: school building file on nursery accommodation: 1975-1978;
  • E/TE3/3: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/4: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • SDCadH2/3: log book: 1991-1998;
  • E/Pu4/4/190: school prospectus: 1995.

Willowfield County Primary/Lower School

  • SMM34/1: school managers’ minutes: 1919-1974;
  • CCE1985/1: abstract of title of part of Woodside Farm – site of Willowfield County Primary School: 1961;CA2/306: school building file: 1963-1973;
  • E/TE3/3: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/4: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • E/TE2/2/L/14: details of teaching staff: 1988.

Five Oaks County Secondary Modern/Middle School

  • CCE1985/1: abstract of title of part of Woodside Farm – site of Five Oaks County Secondary School: 1961;
  • CA2/136: school building file: 1961-1965;
  • CCE1872/1: abstract of title to the site of the caretaker’s house: 1962;
  • CCE1872/8: conveyance of caretaker’s house from M. J. Shanley Limited to Bedfordshire County Council: 1963;
  • PY/PH36/1-12: exterior and interior photographs during construction: 1963-1967;
  • SGM8: school governors’ minutes: 1964-1973;
  • CA2/98: proposed Youth Annexe: 1964-1965;
  • E/YM1/1/2: project to build a Youth Annexe: 1964-1965;
  • CA2/276: building maintenance file: 1964-1976;
  • CCE1985/3: conveyance of site from Ned Charles Brown to Bedfordshire County Council: 1965;
  • CA2/658: improvements to the minibus garage: 1967-1969;
  • CA8/806: building maintenance file: 1976-1982;
  • CA2/614: improvements to the Home Economics Block: 1978;
  • E/TE3/1: return of teaching staff: 1980;
  • E/SC2/Cad1-2: debate over the future of the school: 1984;
  • E/PM6/2/4: school opposition to abolition of corporal punishment: 1985-1986;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/4: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • E/Pu4/4/26: school prospectus: 1995.

Saint Mary’s Catholic Lower School

  • CCE2070/2: abstract of title of Joan Crawley Ross Skinner to the site of the future school: 1927-1964;
  • CCE2070/4: conveyance of site from Joan Crawley Ross Skinner to Bedfordshire County Council: 1965;
  • CCE2070/11: conveyance of site from Bedfordshire County Council to Northampton Roman Catholic Diocese Trustees: 1970;
  • CA2/719: school building file – nursery unit: 1976-1982;
  • E/TE3/3: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • E/SA4/1/1: admissions procedure: 1982;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/4: kitchen and other details: c. 1987

Streetfield Middle School

  • CCE2070/2: abstract of title of Joan Crawley Ross Skinner to the site of the future school: 1927-1964;
  • CCE2070/4: conveyance of site from Joan Crawley Ross Skinner to Bedfordshire County Council: 1965;
  • CA2/907: school building file: 1973-1982;
  • CA2/693: school building file: 1978;
  • PY/PH47/1: interior and exterior photographs: 1978-1979;
  • E/TE3/1: return of teaching staff: 1980;
  • E/OL1/5/1: particulars on school exchange visit to Calvados: 1984;
  • E/PM6/2/4: school opposition to the abolition of corporal punishment: 1985-1986;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/SC2/Dun2: notes on public meeting to discuss the future of the school: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/4: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • E/TE2/2/M10: details of teaching staff: 1989;
  • E/Pu4/4/225: prospectus: 1995;
  • SDCadS1/1/1-20: class attendance registers: 2000-2001;
  • SDCadS1/2/1-20: class attendance registers: 2001-2002;
  • SDCadS1/3/1-20: class attendance registers: 2002-2003;
  • SDCadS1/4/1-20: class attendance registers: 2003-2004;
  • SDCadS1/5/1-21: class attendance registers: 2006-2007;
  • SDCadS1/6/1-19: class attendance registers: 2007-2008.

Manshead Upper School

  • CCE2070/2: abstract of title of Joan Crawley Ross Skinner to the site of the future school: 1927-1964;
  • CCE2070/4: conveyance of site from Joan Crawley Ross Skinner to Bedfordshire County Council: 1965;
  • CA2/427: school building file: 1967-1975;
  • SGM13: school governors’ minutes: 1968-1973;
  • CA2/471: school building file – Phases II and III: 1970-1976;
  • CA2/664: school building file – Phase III construction: 1971-1976;
  • PY/PH125/1-4: interior and exterior photographs: 1971-1972;
  • CA8/395: buildings maintenance file: 1972-1978;
  • CA2/631: school building file – alterations and adaptations: 1974-1977;
  • E/SE2/2/4: school donation of a caravan to Glenwood Special School, Dunstable: 1976;
  • CCE2070/8: conveyance of part of the school site from Bedfordshire County Council to Trustees of the Ashton Schools Foundation: 1977;
  • E/SA1/3/2: file on admission policy and disagreement with Local Education Authority: 1978-1984;
  • CA8/831: buildings maintenance file: 1978-1982;
  • E/TE3/1: return of teaching staff: 1980;
  • CA2/734: school building file – room adaptations: 1982-1984;
  • E/PM1/3/1: file on children not placed at the school despite their wishes: 1982-1983;
  • E/Pu4/5/5: notes for parents: 1982;
  • E/SA4/1/1: admission procedures: 1982;
  • E/SC3/D-Man1: file on potential closure of the school: 1982;
  • E/SA4/1/2: correspondence on admission arrangements: 1984;
  • E/CU3/13/5-6: establishment of pre-vocational courses: 1985;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/ME4/2/1: notes on multicultural education at the school: 1986-1988;
  • E/MS3/2/5: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • CCE2070/9: agreement regarding grant maintained status: 1994.