Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > BrookEndNorthill > The Gardeners Arms Beerhouse Brook End

The Gardeners Arms Beerhouse Brook End

The Gardeners Arms about 1925 [WL800/2 page 33]
The Gardeners Arms about 1925 [WL800/2 page 33]

The Gardeners Arms Beerhouse: 1 Brook End, Northill

The Gardeners Arms was on the east side of Vinegar Hill just to the south of the junction with the road to Beeston and thus the former beerhouse is now in the hamlet of Beeston and the civil parish of Sandy.

The countywide licensing register of 1876 notes that the house first received its licence in 1863 and was owned by William Brooke of Sandy. The countywide register of 1891 states that Brooke was, in fact, the leaseholder, with William brown as his tenant, the owner being George Jeeves of Beeston. By the time of the countywide register of 1901 the owner was Bedford brewer Charles Wells.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the Gardeners Arms found it owned by Charles Wells. This survey reported that the beerhouse also included a derelict cottage and land. It had been built in 1898, presumably around the time Wells acquired it, of brick and slate and contained a kitchen, tap room, living room and cellar downstairs and three bedrooms above. Presumably the old building was either demolished and a new house built on the site or the alterations were very extensive.

There was an earth closet outside and water was laid on. Trade was estimated at 18 gallons of mild and two dozen bottles per week and taking around £2/10/- per week. The valuer noted: "House in very good condition, trade much reduced on account of closing hours, men at work go home at 4 and do not return. Increased price of beer has also reduced trade". In such a location it was always going to be difficult for a licensed house to make much of a profit and the Gardeners Arms closed in 1962, the building now being a private house.

1 Brook End March 2010
1 Brook End March 2010

References

  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
  • HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
  • HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
  • HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
  • PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915;
  • WL800/2: photograph: c.1925
  • WL801/207: negative of above photograph: c.1925;
  • PSBW8/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1956-1972.

The Gardeners Arms about 1920 [Z1306-99]
The Gardeners Arms about 1920 [Z1306/99]

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1872-1882: John Wagstaff;
1882-1886: Jane Wagstaff;
1886-1889: George Wagstaff;
1891-1893: William Brown;
1893-1899: Thomas Stanford;
1899: Elizabeth Stanford;
1899-1936: Samuel Stanford;
1940: James Housden;
1957-1962: Frank Norman
Beerhouse closed 16th January 1962

The former Gardeners Arms July 2007
The former Gardeners Arms July 2007