Elm Farm Bolnhurst
Elm Farmhouse, at Wood End, was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from “around 1700” and is constructed from colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame. It had a corrugated iron roof (presumably replacing the original thatch) and comprised two storeys. There was a one storey lean-to addition to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the farm [DV1/H22/64] found that it was owned and occupied by John James. The rent in 1896 had been £70 per annum and the farm contained 65 acres.
The thatched farmhouse contained a parlour, a living room, a kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a wooden earth closet, a wooden bicycle shed and a wooden coal bay. The mostly brick and slate farm buildings comprised: a trap house near the farmhouse; a three-bay open hovel; a hay and corn barn; a chaff house; a stable for three horses; a cow place for three beasts and a double calf box. In the rickyard was a wood and thatched shelter.