Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Blunham > 75 The Hill Blunham

75 The Hill Blunham

73 and 75 The Hill August 2009
73 and 75 The Hill August 2009

75 the Hill, with its neighbour, 73, make a nice pair of thatched cottages, though it has not always been so. The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 75 the Hill [DV1/C179/61] noted that it was owned by a Miss Marsom and occupied by Mrs. R. Chambers at a rent of £20/16/- per annum. Interestingly the premises was then described as a brick and slate dwelling, today's thatched roof and the fact it is actually timber-framed with roughcast notwithstanding. The house comprised a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above and a barn outside. There was also a large garden. The valuer commented: "Well Built Quite Nice But down in Village" the latter was obviously considered a bad thing! Water came from a pump in the yard and the house stood in just over half an acre.

75 The Hill was listed by English Heritage in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest; they dated it to the 18th century. It is of Timber framed construction with colour washed rough-cast render over it. It now has a thatched roof and had a simple plan of two rooms downstairs with bedrooms in the attics.  It now has a 20th century colour washed brick addition to the north gable end.