71and 73 Grange Road Blunham
71 and 73 Grange Road August 2009
71 and 73 Grange Road are, today, the same house and, like many older properties, stands gable end on to the road behind its thick hedge. It is not so old as the other thatched properties in Grange Lane, 63 and 99. Originally 71 was the part nearest the road and 73 behind. The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the building [DV1/C195/1-2] noted that both dwellings were owned by M. Maries. Number 71 was occupied by J. Munns who paid £16 per annum rent for a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. A barn with an onion loft over stood outside. Water came from a tap in the scullery.
W. C. Maries occupied Number 73, paying £12 per annum rent for the same accommodation. As well as a barn with an onion loft outside, Maries also had a large barn which timber-framed with plaster infill and a tiled roof. Again, water came from a tap in the scullery. The valuer noted: "Not at all a Bad Pair. Position out of Village". Both properties stood in just under half an acre.
The property was listed by the former Department of Environment in February 1982 as Grade II, of special interest; they dated it to the early 19th century. It is of timber framed construction with brick infill, now with a colour washed roughcast render leaving the timber framing partly exposed. It has a slate roof with clay ridge tiles and has a four room plan overall with two storeys. The Department noted: "Included as a good example of late timber framing".