12 The Hill Blunham
12 The Hill - The Old Post Office - August 2009
12 The Hill is known as The Old Post Office. Confirmation of this name is to be found in a valuation of the property in 1927.
The Rating and Valuation Act of 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country should be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Blunham was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 12 The Hill [DV1/C155/94] noted that it was the village post office, owned by Mrs. Chambers and tenanted by J. Norman at a rent of £28 per annum. The were a parlour and a living room, scullery and pantry downstairs as well as the post office itself, which measured 12 feet by 21 feet. Three bedrooms and a store for the shop lay upstairs. Water was laid on to the scullery and a brick and tile stall, store and cart lodge lay outside. The valuer opined: "Very good little place".