Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Bletsoe > 1 Oldway Bletsoe

1 Oldway Bletsoe

1 Oldway October 2009
1 Oldway October 2009

1 Oldway was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It is an 18th century cottage, modernised and extended in the 20th century. It is built of coursed limestone rubble, with a small rendered framed section in the rear wall. It originally had a single storey with attics above but the rood was later reconstructed to give two storeys at the front.

The terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 required every piece of land and building in the country to be valued to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C106/42] noted that it contained simply a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above, the section of the property at right angles to the main house and running south-east along Oldway having not yet been constructed. Like most of the parish, it was owned by Lord Saint John. The occupant was R. J. Brown who paid £4 a year rent.

In 2010 the property was for sale. The particulars [Z449/5/19] described the ground floor comprising: en entrance lobby; a bathroom measuring 2.4 metres by 1.4 metres; a sitting room measuring 4.9 metres by 4.4 metres; a dining room measuring 4.3 metres by 3.5 metres and a kitchen/breakfast room measuring 6.1 metres by 3.7 metres. Upstairs was a bathroom measuring 2.3 metres by 2.2 metres and four bedrooms measuring, respectively: 3.7 metres by 3.4 metres; 4.6 metres by 3.8 metres; 2.5 metres by 2.1 metres and 2.3 metres by 2.7 metres.