Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Aspley Heath > The Heath Beerhouse Aspley Heath

The Heath Beerhouse Aspley Heath

Old Heath House September 2007
Old Heath House September 2007

The Heath Beerhouse: Heath Lane, Aspley Heath

Beyond a deed showing that the beerhouse was conveyed to brewers Morris & Company (Ampthill) Limited in 1907 Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service holds no records specifically referring to this beerhouse other than Trade Directories, lists of licensees and the 1910 Doomsday Survey. This survey was undertaken in 1910 following Lloyd-George's pioneering 1909 budget. It aimed to give a comprehensive picture of all land ownership in the country - thus its - unofficial - title. The survey consists of a map and survey book and these show that the Heath Beerhouse, then called the Heath Hotel, is the building now known as Old Heath House on Heath Lane, between Knoll Cottage and Alderman's Place.

List of Licensees : note that this is not a complete list: entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:
1876: William Hammond;
1876-1877: Frederick Tompkins;
1877-1878: Daniel Hammond;
1878-1879: James King;
1879-1880: Allfrey & Lovell;
1880-1903: Noah Ambrose;
1903-1917: Harry Seabrook
Beerhouse closed 1917

List of Sources at Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service:

  • PSW3/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Woburn Petty Sessional Division: 1868-1949;
  • CCE5304/1: conveyed with other properties to Morris & Company (Ampthill) Limited: 1907;
  •  DBV1/3 and DBV3/249: rating valuation: 1910