Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Aspley Heath > Meadow Springs Aspley Heath

Meadow Springs Aspley Heath

Meadow Springs July 2010
Meadow Springs July 2010

Meadow Springs was initially known as Longslade Cottage. It stands on its own on Longslade, the road leading to Woburn Golf Club. It was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. 

The cottage was built by the Duke of Bedford's Estate in the second half of the 19th century, presumably for a gamekeeper or similar employee. It has light timber
framing with red brick infill, some panels in a herringbone pattern. It has red brick to
part of the rear elevation. The cottage has a 20th century tile roof. The cottage is built to an irregular cruciform plan, and has one storey and attics.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Heath was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Longslade Cottage [DV1/C260/32] noted that it was owned by the London and Devon Estate Company - in other words by the Dukes of Bedford, and was occupied by Thomas Lawson, one of the Duke's employees.

The brick, half-timbered and tile detached premises comprised two living rooms, a kitchen and scullery downstairs with four bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet stood outside. The valuer commented "Lovely spot" and "Lovely Cottage" and despite being "Miles from anywhere" mains water was laid on.