Skip Navigation
Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > The Lodge Aspley Guise

The Lodge Aspley Guise

The Lodge July 2010
The Lodge July 2010

The Lodge was listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The house, "apparently formerly subdivided into two dwellings" dates from the early 19th century. It is built of colourwashed brick with slate roofs. The gable which projects towards the road on the left hand side of the building is 19th century.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting The Lodge in West Hill [DV1/C141/50] noted that it was owned by C. P. Hall and occupied by H. Mordaunt who paid £60 per annum in rent, the figure before the Great War having been £40 per annum. Kelly's Directories for Bedfordshire list Harry Mordaunt as living at The Lodge from at least 1910. He was preceded by Miss Westrop (from at least 1898 until at least 1906) and John Robinson (from at least 1885 until at least 1894). By the directory of 1936 John Richardson was in residence and he is the occupier in the last Kelly's for Bedfordshire, that of 1940.

The brick and slate building comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen, scullery, larder and pantry downstairs with four bedrooms and a bathroom and w. c. above. Outside stood a coal house, a boot house, a store, a stable for one horse and a coachhouse. The valuer commented: "right on road".