Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > Sources for Education in Aspley Guise

Sources for Education in Aspley Guise

National/Board/Council/County Primary/Lower School

former Aspley Guise school Sep 2007


  • BHRS Volume 67: The Bedfordshire Schoolchild in the 19th Century;
  • AD3865/4: plan of National School: 1847;
  • AB/RD/A0: details of intended school: 1848;
  • SDAspleyGuise1/1: logbook: 1868-1897;
  • P122/29/1: Vestry correspondence on school matters: 1868, 1885, 1888;
  • Bedfordshire Mercury articles on religious divide in the village regardin geducation: 24 Sep and 1 Oct 1872;
  • X454/29: inaugural meeting of Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Gas Light & Coke Company held at school: 1877;
  • P122/29/2: agreement for headmaster to act as choirmaster and superintendent of the Sunday School: 1878;
  • SDAspleyGuise3: circulars, School Inspector's reports etc.: 1879-1924;
  • P122/8/1: Vestry minute regarding establishment of School Board: 1879;
  • E/SA3/1/1: tabulated return of pupils under Factory & Workshop Act 1878: 1879;
  • P122/25/1-24: Moore's Charity accounts for schooling: 1881-1965;
  • SDCranfield3/1: press cutting about inspection of Aspley Guise Board School by School Inspector: 1891;
  • P122/8/1: Vestry minute regarding cost of maintaining children at the school: 1886;
  • P122/2/18: licence to use schoolroom for services while church closed for repairs: 1890;
  • P122/8/5: Vestry minute regarding overcrowded state of the school: 1894;
  • SB1/1: mortgage of premises by School Board: 1896;
  • SDAspleyGuise1/2: logbook: 1897-1911;
  • Z251/365: photographs of school groups: c.1900-1930s;
  • SB1/3: Report of School Board Clerk to new LEA: 1903;
  • E/TE5/1: list of teachers: 1904-1908;
  • SDAspleyGuise10/1: admission register: 1906-1960;
  • E/TE5/2: list of teachers: 1908-1912;
  • Z818/35: photograph of school: c.1910;
  • SDAspleyGuise/1/3: school logbook: 1911-1931;
  • E/IN1/1: Inspector's reports on the school: 1911-1933;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/1: group portrait of Class 1: c.1915;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/2: group portrait of Class 3: c.1915;
  • SDAspleyGuise/6/1: needlework sales book: 1925-1934;
  • SDAspleyGuise/1/4: school logbook: 1931-1950;
  • SDAspleyGuise8/1: printed particulars of scholarships: 1932;
  • CS/SPL649: file on the building of the school, arrangements etc.: 1936-1978;
  • SDAspleyGuise/5/1: summary register: 1937-1942;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/4: newspaper cutting about school opening in Spinney Lane: 1940;
  • Z55/1/91/3-4: negatives of school: c.1940;
  • SDAspleyGuise/5/2: summary register: 1942-1947;
  • SDAspleyGuise/7/1: weekly attendance summary: 1942-1943;
  • SDAspleyGuise/5/3: summary register: 1947-1952;
  • PCAspleyGuise26/2: Instrument of Management: 1948-1977;
  • RDAH3(1): application to use old school premises to manufacture machinery: 1949-1953;
  • SDAspleyGuise/1/5: school logbook: 1950-1970;
  • SDAspleyGuise/2/1-3: syllabus and record books: 1952-1953;
  • SDAspleyGuise/5/4: summary register: 1952-1955;
  • SDAspleyGuise/10/2: admission register: 1960-1992;
  • CA2/91: building contract for kitchens and class room: 1964-1965;
  • X351/1 p.81: photograph of new cloak rooms: 1965;
  • SDAspleyGuise/5/5: summary register: 1965-1970;
  • CA8/860: building maintenance file: 1966-1983;
  • SDAspleyGuise/4/1-11: attendance registers: 1969-1973;
  • SDAspleyGuise/7/1-2: weekly attendance summaries: 1970-1972;
  • SDAspleyGuise/1/6: school logbook: 1970-1977;
  • SDAspleyGuise/1/7: school logbook: 1978-1982;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/5: newspaper cutting about Christmas Bazaar: 1980s;
  • E/TE3/3: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • SDAspleyGuise/1/8: school logbook: 1983-1988;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/TE2/2/1: details of school: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/2: kitchen and other details: c.1987;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/6: newspaper cutting about decision to continue to cook meals at school: 1988;
  • SDAspleyGuise/1/9: school logbook: 1988-1999;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/14: colour photograph of children in 18th century dress: 1990s;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/7: newspaper cutting regarding headteacher's appeal for old pupils to contact her: 1990;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/8-9: newspaper cuttings about 50th anniversary celebrations at new school building: 1990;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/10: newspaper cutting about school winning prize for habitat pool: 1991;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/11: newspaper cutting regarding construction of wildlife habitat at school: 1992;
  • SDAspleyGuise/11/8: newspaper cutting about performance of Magic Flute at school: 1994;
  • E/Pu4/4/224: prospectus: 1995;
  • PCAspleyGuise34/1/8: planning application for old school in Woburn Lane: 1999;
  • Z1205/010: oral history transcript by former female London Brick driver educated at school: 2001;
  • SDAspleyGuise/8/2: Governors' Annual Report: 2001

Fulbrook County Secondary/Middle School

Fullbrook Middle School


  • SGM4/1-2: Governors' minutes: 1958-1973;
  • X351/1 p.79: photograph of tribute to retiring teachers: c.1965;
  • E/YM1/4/20: floodlighting of playground: 1965;
  • CA8/234: building maintenance file: 1966-1980;
  • SGM4/3-4: Governors' correspondence: 1967-1973;
  • CA2/493: file on school extensions: 1974-1977;
  • E/YM3/1/1: use of school grounds for Youth Service Adventure Challenge competitions: 1979-1980;
  • E/TE3/1: return of teaching staff: 1980;
  • E/SC3/Gen24: working papers on proposal to send ongoing children to upper school at Wootton and Kempston rather than Leighton-Linslade: 1980-1981;
  • E/OL1/5/1: school participation in school exchange programme with Calvados [France]: 1984;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/2: kitchen and other details: c.1987;
  • E/TE2/2/M2: details of school: 1989;
  • E/Pu4/4/41: prospectus: 1995

Aspley Guise Classical Academy

Guise House Sep 2007

  • Press Cuttings volume 1 page 99;
  • Bedfordshire Magazine Volume V pages 342-343;
  • Bedfordshire Magazine Volume XXIV page 262;
  • Journal of Bedfordshire Family History Society Volume 2 Number 1 page 17, Volume 2 Number 2 page 11, Volume 2 Number 3 page 11;
  • CRT130Turvey6: John Higgins at the school;
  • CRT130Asp2: notes on the school;
  • CRT130Asp5: boys' names carved at school;
  • CRT130Asp10: notes on the school;
  • CRT130Asp13: items relating to the school;
  • CRT130Asp18: letter by future Clerk of the Peace, Theed Pearse, written at the school: 1802;
  • CRT130Asp21: doucments relating to the school in the possession of A.E.A.Wright;
  • CRT130Asp26: notes on the school;
  • CRT180/414: copies and transcripts of documents relating to William Wright;
  • X364/83, 85: Doctor Fowler's notes on the history of the school;
  • X395/60: history of the school by Arthur Parker;
  • HW68: Thomas Gressam asking for recommendations to the school due to smallpox having cause vacanies: 1724;
  • M1/1/32: schoolmaster: 1743;
  • HW83: school bill: 1762/3
  • HW59: bequest from Robert to Thomas Sawell: 1768;
  • HW50: how holidays were given from the school to work in hay fields: before 1771;
  • X141/1: notes on some old boys: 1775;
  • X347/9: letter sent home by a boarder: 1776;
  • X141/1: card game played by William Wright at writer's house: 1777;
  • X1/31: "Mr.Vaughan's Academy" mentioned in the title of a map: before 1778;
  • ABT2/3: burial of James Vaughan, schoolmaster: 1778;
  • HW60: numbers "very good": 1782;
  • OR2071/363: gift of a goose given to William Wright by the Orlebar family: 1786;
  • OR2071/364: Robert Orlebar, at the school, recovered from measles: 1786;
  • OR2071/390: manuscript list of boys: 1788;
  • HW63: numbers: c.1790;
  • HW87/457: "very flourishing state": 1792;
  • ABF3/1 and HW77: application for a pew by William Wright: 18th century: 1794;
  • HW87/500: "grand entertainment" given at school: 1798;
  • ABF3/12: faculty of erection of gallery in church for the school: 1799;
  • Fac56: picture of the school: c.1800;
  • AD3276: circular: 1801;
  • V401: will of William Wright: 1806;
  • V402: deed describing premises: 1825;
  • P118/8/1: William Gee applied to Woburn overseers for assistance to re-establish the school: 1833;
  • Z210/137: mention of the school inThe Climate of Aspley Guise by James Williams: 1858;
  • GA2150: sale catalogue: 1874

Quaker School

  • R3/4662: William How, having just established the school, suggested the Duke of Bedford should contribute £2: 1843;
  • R3/4710: comment that the school might be found useful as an example to other villages: 1843;
  • R3/4711: suggestion that Duke of Bedford gives a subscription to the school: 1843