Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > Park Cottage Apley Guise

Park Cottage Apley Guise

Valentine and Park Cottages [Z818/29]
Valentine and Park Cottages about 1920 [Z818/29]

Park Cottage is an attractive thatched property in Bedford Road (formerly called East Street), fifty yards or so from the junction with Mount Pleasant. Today it is well set back from the road but until the 1960s the road ran right past it, following the course of the modern path. The cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment, being given Grade II status ("of special interest, which warrant every effort being made to preserve them"). 

Park Cottage is considered to be 18th century, "with later reworkings". It is of timber-framed construction, some of which has been replaced, with colour-washed brick and render infill. It had a three bay plan in one storey, with attics above. 

In 1927 this part of Bedfordshire was valued under the terms of the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and property was inspected to determine the rates to be paid on it. Park Cottage was then simply 16 East Street, the owner was Mrs. Downes of Aspley House and the tenant was H. Mansfield. The valuer noted its rough cast and thatch construction and detailed a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with just one bedroom above; outside were a barn and W. C.; mains water was laid on to an outside tap and mains drainage was also laid on. The valuer commented: "Very small. Very pretty. Like a Lodge. Week-end type". Since that time a considerable extension has been added to the back as can be seen in the photograph below.

Park Cottage January 2008
Park Cottage January 2008