Skip Navigation
Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > Aspley Guise Pound

Aspley Guise Pound

Berry Lane Corner - site of The Pound January 2008
Berry Lane corner - site of the pound January 2008

Manors had jurisdiction over all their tenants and a number of aspects of their tenants' lives. Part of this was control over tenants' animals. If an animal was caught straying (and therefore, potentially, damaging the property and/or land of other tenants or the Lord of the Manor) it was captured by manorial officials and put in the pound. Its owner could then only redeem it on payment of a fine.

The pound in Aspley is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 25 inches to the mile map of 1883 as being at the southern junction of Berry Lane with Church Street at a spot known as Berry Lane Corner, where a modern house stands today.