Skip Navigation
Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > 47 and 49 Aspley Hill Aspley Guise

47 and 49 Aspley Hill Aspley Guise

47 and 49 Aspley Hill July 2010
47 and 49 Aspley Hill July 2010

47 and 49 Aspley Hill are well established properties, first mentioned in a sale particular of 1868 [SF2/18]. Richard Key was the owner of Woodlands and a number of other properties, including 47 and 49 Aspley Hill, formed part of the estate.

The particulars reveal that the two dwellings were known as Aspley Cottages in 1868 and each contained an entrance lobby, living room, parlour, back kitchen and two large bedrooms with a coal barn, yard and garden outside. The two occupiers were Miss Bartram and John Mead and a total combined rent of £23/14/- per annum. The frontage was 53 feet and the depth 122 feet. The particulars noted: "With this Lot is sold a Right of Way to and user of Pump on Lot 4 [43 and 45 Aspley Hill], and also Right of Way over the strip of Land belonging to Lot 1 [Woodlands] as now enjoyed for Side Entrance". Evidence from the packet including the particulars is that there was no sale at the auction.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 47 Aspley Hill [DV1/C239/68] noted that it was owned by Miss H. M. Pain, owner and occupier of Woodlands. The tenant was James Clarke, who paid 9/9 per week in rent.

The brick and slate, semi-detached property comprised two reception rooms, a scullery and larder downstairs with two bedrooms and a bathroom above. A barn and w. c. stood outside. Mains water and drainage were laid on. The valuer commented: "Tenant is gardener to Miss Pain".

49 West Hill [DV1/C239/69] was also owned by Miss H. M. Pain and tenanted by Miss H. M. Pain - this may be someone else of the same name or may mean that the property was "in hand", in other words not let at that time. The brick and slate property comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and larder downstairs with three bedrooms, a boxroom and a bathroom and w. c. above. A barn and w. c. stood outside. As with the adjoining property, mains water, drainage were laid out, but with the addition of mains gas. The valuer commented: "Generally let furnished".