Skip Navigation
Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > 37 West Hill Aspley Guise

37 West Hill Aspley Guise

37 West Hill July 2010
37 West Hill July 2010

37 West Hill is an attractive, larger 19th century cottage. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 37 West Hill [DV1/C141/118] noted that it was owned and occupied by Harry Young, dairyman, and was called Westwood Villa. He also owned 31 to 35 West Hill.

The brick and slate, detached, building comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above. There was also a "Cellar used as dairy". The following buildings stood outside: a timber and corrugated iron washhouse; a timber and corrugated iron two bay open hovel; a timber and corrugated iron garage; a brick and slate store; a timber and slate barn and a timber and slate stable for four horses. All of these were regarded by the valuer as "poor". He noted that mains water, drainage and gas were laid on.