Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > 31 to 35 West Hill Aspley Guise

31 to 35 West Hill Aspley Guise

31 to 35 West Hill July 2010
31 to 35 West Hill July 2010

West Hill has a number of short 19th century terraces of cottages for workers as well as grander dwellings. 31 to 35, like 63 to 67, fall in this category. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 31 to 35 West Hill discovered that they were owned by Harry Young, dairyman, he lived at 37 West Hill.

31 West Hill [DV1/C141/115] was occupied by Frederick Purr who paid three shillings per week in rent (it had been 2/6 per week before the Great War). The brick and slate cottage comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. A barn and w. c. stood outside.

33 West Hill [DV1/C141/116] was occupied by Mrs. Emma Brown and 35 by Mrs. F. Cook [DV1/C141/117]. Both paid the same rent for the same accommodation as Frederick Purr.

The valuer noted that mains water and drainage was laid on. He also noted that there was one tap for three cottages.