Skip Navigation
Home > Community archives > Aspley Guise > 10 West Hill Aspley Guise

10 West Hill Aspley Guise

The Little Shop - 10 West Hill July 2010
The Little Shop - 10 West Hill July 2010

10 West Hill was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. The ministry dated the property to the early 19th century but noted that it is a reworking of an earlier structure. The main block is of
colourwashed roughcast render and contains fragments of cruck framing. The rear
block is timber-framed, with colourwashed brick infill. The property has slate roofs and two storeys. The property is still known locally as The Little Shop, for reasons which will appear below.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Guise was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 10 West Hill, found that it was a shop, owned and occupied by Miss Annie M. Braddick, confectioner [DV1/C239/131].

The property comprised a shop measuring 13 feet by 15 feet, a living room measuring 13 feet by 12 feet 6 inches and a scullery downstairs with three bedrooms measuring, respectively, 13 feet by 15 feet, 12 feet 6 inches by 9 feet 6 inches and 12 feet 6 inches by 7 feet 6 inches above. A barn and w. c. lay outside. Mains water and drainage were laid on.

The valuer commented: "Very, very bad". Nevertheless the writer remembers The Little Shop still selling confectionary in the 1970s. Annie Braddick appears no directories and so it is impossible to say how long she kept the shop.