Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Aley Green > The Boot Public House Aley Green

The Boot Public House Aley Green

Boot Public House, Tipple Hill

The only records of this public house held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service are in the Thomas Sworder & Company brewery archive [X95]. It was a copyhold premises, held of the Manor of Markyate and was described in a letter of 1864 as being at Tipple Hill in Markyate Street; Aley Green at that date being, along with that part of the parish of Caddington, in Hertfordshire. The house was presumably somewhere near Tipplehill Farm on Manor Road

Thomas Sworder, the Luton brewer, bought the Boot for £200 when he purchased the brewery and public houses of a deceased Luton brewer, Frederick Burr in 1857. The archive has a schedule of deeds (though not, sadly, the deeds themselves) indicating that in 1829 the premises was owned by William Adams, although there is nothing in the schedule to indicate whether or not it was a public house at that date. Adams sold the Boot to Frederick Burr in 1850 suggesting that it was then a public house. In 1867 the rent was described as £10 and the last mention of the public house is in 1878 when Frederick Burr's executors covenant to surrender it to Thomas Joseph Sworder, Thomas Sworder's mortgagee.

List of sources:

  • X95/300: steward's copy admission of William Adams scheduled: 1829;
  • X95/300: sold by William Adams to Frederick Burr: 1850;
  • X95/292/69: letter from Charles Stockdale Benning to Thomas Sworder of Hertford regarding admission to the Boot: 1864;
  • X95/292/117: letter from Charles Stockdale Benning to Thomas Sworder of Hertford regarding admission to the Boot: 1864;
  • X95/283: account of rents: 1867;
  • X95/242: covenant by Edward Burr and Richard Hatley Crabb to surrender the Boot to Thomas Joseph Sworder: 1878